Dover Bitch

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Really close



DB was watching Hardball yesterday and heard this from CNBC's Erin Burnett:

You know, when you talk about inflation, that's another interesting point because a lot of people like to say, scaremonger about China, right? A lot of politicians, and I know you talk about that issue all the time... I think people should be careful what they wish for on China. You know, if China were to revalue its currency or China is to start making, say, toys that don't have lead in them or food that isn't poisonous, their cost of production is going to go up and that means prices at Walmart here in the United States are going to go up, too. So, I would say China is our greatest friend right now. They're keeping prices low and they're keeping prices for mortgages low, too.


I'll tell you, when I picked my jaw up off the floor, I decided to wait for the rebroadcast to make sure I heard it correctly. But a few minutes later, I was forced to change my mind and go easy on Burnett because Chris Matthews' behaviour became so lecherous and demeaning towards her, I thought she didn't deserve any additional grief. (Video here)

Here's how the segment ended:

BURNETT: You know, Chris, just to throw it out there and be provocative, but also ask a fair question, you know, maybe not everybody is able to own a home. We like to think of owning a home as a right in this country.

MATTHEWS: Yeah.

BURNETT: It might not be.

MATTHEWS: Can you get a little closer to the camera?

BURNETT: My... What is it... is it...

MATTHEWS: Come on in closer.

BURNETT: ...zooming in strangely?

MATTHEWS: Come in further, come in closer... Really close.

BURNETT: What... What are you... What are you...

MATTHEWS: Ha! Ha! Just kidding. You look great! Anyway it's, thanks. Erin, it's great to have... Look at that look...

BURNETT: I don't even know... I'm going to have to go look at the tape here...

MATTHEWS: No, you're beautiful...

BURNETT: ... I'm in a strange location...

MATTHEWS: I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding, you're a knockout. Anyway, thank you, Erin Burnett.

BURNETT: Alright, Chris.

MATTHEWS: It's alright getting bad news from you, even. Thanks for coming on Hardball


Uh, ewwwwwww. Makes me want to eat lead.

UPDATE: Burnett's comments about China remind me of this Woody Allen joke:

Two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Labels: , ,