Dover Bitch

Friday, April 13, 2007

Various matters

Here are a bunch of random thoughts for the day. Blogging is light today, both because DB was busy, but also because I wanted to let my last post stay on top for a while. In fact, I tried my hand at my first cross-post on Daily Kos, but I'm starting to think from the comments in it, which almost all have to do with Tony Blair, that a diary posted when Europe is waking up and America is sleeping, entitled "We didn't elect Tony Blair" -- well, that was probably a mistake (blushing).

In any event, please consider calling your Senators and ask them if they were aware that the Bush administration was on the verge of provoking a war with Iran until England declined the offer. At least two Senators have already said that Bush does not have the Constitutional authority to attack Iran. If Congress is waiting for Bush to make a move before fighting back, reacting to the news of this offer would be immeasurably preferable to reacting to a war that's already claiming lives and will probably be impossible to stop.

If your Senators weren't informed that Bush was ready to go to war with Iran, ask them when they are planning to get an explanation from him. Shouldn't they be concerned by the fact that the decision to take America to war with Iran was left up to Tony Blair, not Congress or the American people?

Let me know what they say.

A few other items of interest:

  • Thanks for the link, Greg Sargent. And great work.

  • Abstinence-only programs have failed. Seems to me the people of Connecticut should ask Joe Lieberman why all that taxpayer money that leaves the state and comes back at a lower rate than almost every other state in the country should be getting funneled into the worthless faith-based abstinence programs he helped make possible.

  • COOT OFF! Like the grouchy "get off my lawn" neighborhood curmudgeon who lives forever, Ted Stevens sets a longevity record. Couldn't have happened to a lousier Senator. "I just the other day got, an Internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why??"

  • Great job on the document dump, blog-o-sphere!

    Labels: , , , ,


  •