Dover Bitch

Friday, June 29, 2007

Time Is On My Side (Yes, It Is!)

Josh Marshall notes that President Bush, after the defeat of his immigration bill, looks "like someone has literally knocked the wind out of him."

I'm sure the wind won't stay out of him long, though. In no time, he'll be breaking it in the White House, since he's broken just about everything else (his promises, the army, the environment, the economy, our standing in the world...)

Don't think he'll remain sullen. You see, history is on his side:

Hersh also stated that Bush likes to compare himself to Winston Churchill. Sources close to the President have heard him "say things like, 'It'll be 20 years before they appreciate me. ... Yes, I may be at 30 percent in the polls, but in 20 or 30 years, they'll appreciate what I've done.'"


He's already looking better, isn't he? Katrina looked bad at first, but now that we've had some time to reflect on it, doesn't it look like a great example of effective government?

Bush knew it would. He warned us not to rush to judgment, just one year after the disaster:

BUSH: First of all, there's no such thing as short-term history as far as I'm concerned. I think that you can't judge a presidency based upon a moment's notice. I believe you have to take -- eventually my standing in history will be judged by people 30 or 40 years from now who will be able to take an objective look, at whether the decisions I made led to peace and prosperity. You know, this is a job where you make decisions. And you, you do what you think is right. And you let people recognize, and the people are gonna say what's on their mind at the moment. But I read three histories of George Washington last year. The first President of the United States is still being analyzed by historians, which oughtta say to this president and future president: "Do what you think is right and eventually historians will figure out whether it made sense or not."


He's right. America is coming around. It only took 200-plus years, but people are finally realizing that George Washington wasn't a complete failure. I doubt it will take until 2208 before people figure out just how lucky we've been over the past seven years. It is inevitable. Like Condi said, when she linked Saddam to 9/11, "this is a story that is unfolding, and it is getting clearer, and we're learning more."

Labels: