Dover Bitch

Friday, May 04, 2007

Debates: Paul on the Internet, privacy

DB can barely recognize "conservatism" anymore. Ron Paul was a breath of fresh air at the GOP debates.

MR. VANDEHEI: Congressman Paul, Carrie from Connecticut asks, do you trust the mainstream media?

REP. PAUL: Some of them. But I trust the Internet a lot more.

MR. VANDEHEI: Okay.

REP. PAUL: And I trust the freedom of expression, and that's why we should never interfere with the Internet, that's why I've never voted to regulate the Internet, even when there's the temptation to put bad things on the Internet. Regulation of bad and good on the Internet should be done differently.

But, no, there's every reason to believe that we have enough freedom in this country to have freedom of expression, and that's what is important. And whether or not we trust the mainstream or not, I think you pick and choose. There are some friends and some aren't so friendly.


Republicans, please nominate this man.

REP. PAUL: I am absolutely opposed to a national ID card. This is a total contradiction of what a free society is all about. The purpose of government is to protect the secrecy and the privacy of all individuals, not the secrecy of government. We don't need a national ID card.

[...]

REP. PAUL: I certainly would continue on my earlier theme that foreign policy needs to be changed. Mr. Republican, Robert Taft -- we have a statue of him in Washington -- he advocated the same foreign policy that I advocate. I would work very hard to protect the privacy of American citizens, being very, very cautious about warrantless searches, and I would guarantee that I would never abuse habeas corpus.


Amen. Plus, he called out Scooter Libby for his role in spreading lies to lead us into war. Well done, Paul.

By the way, as I post this, with 16,982 votes in, Paul appears to be the only candidate in the MSNBC poll with more positive ratings than negative.

Labels: , ,